I have found the Jeti range of speed controllers the best value for money, and no interference problems (Christo had a 30A Advance available at R550 - they retail overseas for about $80).
Some bad reports have been circulating on Castle Creations speed controllers, but the latest ones seem to have the glitching problem sorted out.
The Model Motors controllers (TMM) that Jonathan Spratley is importing are excellent, but the prices are a bit steep.
I have also tried the new Hyperion speed controllers (will be available from Cape Sailplanes shortly) and found them to be excellent - I am using one in my T-Rex.
The Align 35A controller imported by Aerial Concepts are also very reliable, and I like the heat sink attached. Makes a lot of sense if you are using 4 sub-micro servos, which puts a lot of pressure on the BEC.
There are a number of el-cheapos available locally, but I would not even touch them with a long stick. If you try a handful you may find one or two that works well, but I would not risk it in any of my planes (well, maybe in an old Shock Flyer.)
Even some of the premium brands like Aveox had teething problems - excellent service, but after losing 2 planes and having one on fire, you tend to become wary. Must admit though, the Easy Street catching fire in the air was very impressive - the separate battery pack that I had on board saved the day...
- Control Line SIG
- Fun Fly SIG
- Gert Nieuwoudt's SAMAA Facebook page
- Large Scale Aerobatics SIG
- MGA SIG
- MHSA SIG
- Model Aerobatic Association SIG
- National Association of Scale Modelers SIG
- SA Indoor Electric Association
- SAMAA Diary of Events
- SAMAA membership admin site
- SAMAA web page
- SAMJA SIG
- SAMPRA SIG
- ► 2014 (33)
- ► 2013 (44)
- ► 2012 (57)
- ► 2011 (67)
- ► 2010 (79)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (102)
- ► 2007 (108)
- ► 2006 (90)
- Andre Kilian on speed controllers
- Mike George's pulse jet -- link to JOMACPIX BLOG
- The Great Western Province 2005 Aerobatics Champio...
- 2005 MMS Thermal Open -- Ilma Stockton
- SA Scale and Jet Masters 2005 -- Paula Denyssche...
- The Midrand Model Soarers Open, March 2005 -- L...
- SA Scale and Jet Masters -- Paula Denysschen
- SAMAA Special Interest Groups -- Bart Diaz
- Bill Vos Memorial Handicap March 2005 -- Dave Gree...
- NCB Newsletter March 2005 -- Percy Attfield
- Why O Why don't we have more pattern pilots? -- Cl...
- MAASA Chairman's report March 2005 -- Savas Nicola...
- ▼ March (12)
Web site terms and conditions
Copyright of material on all the pages of this site is vested in the SAMAA or the original authors. You may use the material in terms of the Creative Commons license for non-commercial purposes on the condition that you acknowledge its origin.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License
The views expressed on this web site, or on any directly or indirectly linked site, are not necessarily those of the SAMAA Committee, or the web editor. The information provided on this site is provided for recreational purposes only. The SAMAA and the authors of presented content assume no liability whatsoever on the use of information contained in this site. The information on this site is provided on an "as-is" basis, without warrantee of any kind. Links provided on this site will let you leave the SAMAA web site. The linked sites are not under the control of the SAMAA, and the SAMAA is not responsible for the contents of any linked site, or any link contained within a linked site, or updates to such sites.